Prompt action steps allow you create custom dialogs which are run as part of an action to capture user input via buttons or an optional text field.
The configurable options for Prompt steps are:
- Key (default: prompt): The key is used to create Drafts tags based on the text input and/or buttons pressed when the prompt is displayed to the user. See discussion below.
- Title (default: Prompt): A short title of the prompt window.
- Message (default: blank): A longer text to appear in the prompt and explain the input desired, if necessary.
- Include text field (default: OFF): If ON, the prompt will include a single line text input field which can be used to take information from the user.
- Text field default (default: blank): The default text to place in the text field, if included. This field can contain Drafts tags, like [[title]] to set a default value. After the prompt is displayed, the value in the text field will be accessible via the a [[prompt_text]] tag in scripts and templates used in steps after the prompt step.
- Include cancel button (default: ON): If ON, a "Cancel" button will automatically be included in the prompt. The cancel button will cancel execution of the action and no further steps after the prompt will be run.
- Buttons (default: OK): A string listing buttons to include in the prompt. Multiple buttons can be listed by using the | character as a separator, for example "Red|Green|Blue" would result in three buttons appearing in the prompt. After the prompt is displayed, the name of the button tapped by the user will be available in the [[prompt_button]] tag in scripts and templates used in steps after the prompt step.
Keys, Tags and Multiple Prompts
Prompts use Drafts tagging system to expose values from the prompt for use in action steps which occur after the prompt in the same action. The tags used are constructed using the "Key" value for the prompt. If using a single prompt in an action, the default "prompt" key is fine and will result in two new tags being available:
- [[prompt_button]] : will contain the name of the button pressed in the prompt.
- [[prompt_text]] : will contain the text in the optional text field.
If using multiple prompts in the same action, you can distinguish results by the changing the "Key" on the prompt steps. A key of "myselection" will result in tags [[myselection_button]] and [[myselection_text]], etc.
These tags can then be used in subsequent steps. A common application would be to prompt for a filename to use, then use the [[prompt_text]] tag as the filename value in a Dropbox step. The Save to Dropbox as... action in the directory demonstrates this example.
If you wish to use the results of prompt in an script action step, you can retrieve the values using the "draft.getTag('tagName');' function.
If I set up multiple buttons, such as Jenny|Mary|Mike, how can I get different [[prompt_text]] in the next step (their phone numbers for example)? I want to build this action: choose from a list of contacts, and then send a message to the right number.
Just modify the "email family" action http://drafts4-actions.agiletortoise.com/a/1ZU
It's tailored for email, but you can modify the script to handle messages.
Thank you Michael!
Please sign in to leave a comment.